Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Habits

I am wishing I had bought Eagleton’s Literary Theory instead of having relied on the Library’s copy. That said, I can always add it to the BOOKS WISH LIST I have been compiling.

I have made a habit, since entering grad-school, of keeping two lists at the end of the class notes documents I keep for each of my courses. One list is simply comprised of quotes from class. The quotes are often humorous, sometimes beautiful, sometimes brilliant and always entertaining. I also keep a list which I title READ/KNOW THIS. In this list I keep a tally of terms, movements, ideas and people I deem vital to my mental rolodex. This is also where I keep the staggeringly long list of books I want to read.

The READ/KNOW list is daunting. Glancing at it makes me nervous sometimes. There is an uncomfortable imbalance between what I KNOW and what I WANT to know or THINK I should know. That’s the part of the list that makes me feel fidgety. The book part of the list just makes me WANT.

I have a book addiction. I can’t get enough of them. I have a few shelves, boxes, cabinets and stacks of them here in Baton Rouge, more stacks at my home with my husband, and I have boxes and boxes of them stored in the home of my parents.

I have relied on the library a good deal since coming to LSU. Not because I want to but because finances made it necessary. This has kept my library from eating me out of house and home. But OHHHHHH once I have money and time again…boy howdy. The book buying is going to be staggering.

I have long envisioned a home of my own…one that I design from a book of images I’ve been compiling. The room in my dream-house which I day-dream about the most is the library. I want a library with rolling ladders, a fire-place and chunky plush antique chairs.

Oh, and I would like to read by osmosis.

I want the power to touch a book and simply absorb it.

That’d be an excellent super-power.

Speaking of book absorption, I best get back to my Eagleton.

My bed is calling and I ache with longing for sleep but I must, must, must keep GOING!!!

Do NOT go into your bedroom. Do NOT close your eyes. Do NOT rest your head on this armchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment