Friday, October 26, 2012

Which way do I GO, Which way do I GO?!


So, my mind had been drifting repeatedly back to the idea of Fringe-studies for my dissertation. I’m actually pretty excited about the idea.

A part of me feels that the abandonment of my two previous ideas is, well…weakness, but the OTHER part of me knows that mode of thinking is simply a self-sabotaging waste of time. YES, I have a great deal of passion for helping to create a reputable Tennessee Williams archive in the playwright’s home town. But I can help to accomplish this without dedicating my dissertation to the task. In fact, I am guessing that I would be MUCH more effective at getting things done on that front if I was NOT saddled with the formalities of dissertating. An approach to this work, were it done through the university, would likely turn into a theory-heavy venture which would probably fail to serve the actual building OF an archive.

There…so I’m off of the hook on THAT front.

And as for my interest in examining prize-winning drama as a canon representative of national identity and social ideals, I’ve been beaten to the finish-line. I found a book which accomplishes just that. Yes, I could certainly find a fresh angle of analysis but I’d simply be looking to find a fresh angle of analysis and LOOKING for fresh angles without being inspired to do so through a personal passion or perception of a NEED is exactly the self-serving and contrived kind of scholarship that makes my stomach turn.
I feel that if I were to dedicate myself to this focus of study, I’d be tap-dancing.

On the other hand, I DO feel that there is a dearth of Fringe scholarship and I DO feel very strongly that the Fringe phenomenon deserves more attention. I feel that my research in this area would be worthwhile, timely and needed. I feel like my background with the Fringe would position me to do the needed research with a behind-the-scenes understanding that would serve the work immensely.

So now what?

Dr. J suggested I might consider taking a close look at 2-3 or 3-4 festivals. I would certainly want to look at the Orlando International Fringe as one of the oldest/most successful in the states. I would also like to look at the New Orleans Fringe as one of the newest .

I think that all of the theory and history-heavy work that we do at LSU has caused me to be a smidge irresponsible in forgetting that criticism is also part of what we do. I LOVE the idea of case-studies and analysis of the NOW. But I don’t know where to start. I feel like this is the area where I have the least amount of training. What NEXT?

2 comments:

  1. Three quick comments:
    1. Making any choice will feel like the killing-off of alternative choices. Anne Bogart's "choosing death" concept here. (Remember, though--these kind of deaths are only temporary murders. Drama prizes and Tennessee Williams aren't going anywhere. They'll wait.)
    2. Restrict yourself to 3 festivals for the diss (perhaps with one safety choice). Make your choice of which three significant (i.e, not just a matter of personal familiarity or convenience).
    3. Find someone who's doing a project similar to your own. Actually--find several someones doing projects like your own. Copy what works for you about their approach/methodology.
    3A: Read Knowles's book _Reading the Material Theatre_ for a ground-level methodology.

    Best,

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete